How can combined motor trade insurance help you?

16 Apr, 2021

Finding insurance for your motor trade can be a hassle. There are so many different things to think about, that finding cover which protects every part of your trade business can quickly become confusing.

The key to finding the right insurance can be as simple as finding the right insurer or broker. You need somebody who takes the time to truly understand the bones of your business: how it operates, what risks it has, and the cover it needs. Once you have a professional on your side, you’ll be able to choose the right policy for you, and get the cover in place that your business requires.

When seeking such expertise, consider turning to professionals well-versed in the nuances of the industry, like those specializing in auto insurance. With a specialized focus on the automotive sector, they can provide tailored solutions that align precisely with the needs of your motor trade business, ensuring you have the coverage necessary for a secure and resilient operation.

In short, you’ll need to have a tailored insurance policy to cover everything specific to your business. That’s where combined motor trade insurance comes in.

What does combined motor trade insurance cover?

Combined motor trade insurance is a policy that does what it says on the tin – combines different insurances into one. Normally, a combined motor trade policy will start with road risk cover, which is the minimum legal requirement for anybody with a motor trade business.

Other policies will then be added on top of your road risk cover, tailored to you depending on the needs of your business. For example, if you have employees working for you, you’ll need to include employers’ liability insurance, and if you store products at your premises, these would be covered by product liability insurance.

The best thing about combined motor trade insurance is that it’s a flexible policy which is tailored to you: your premises, your contents, your staff, and your tools. It can be used whether you have a business premises or work from home.

With combined motor trade, there’s a massive range of cover options available for all areas of your motor trade:

Road risk: this is the minimum legal requirement for any motor trade business, and covers damage caused by a vehicle in your care. There are three types of road risk cover: third-party only, third-party fire and theft, and comprehensive cover.

Public liability insurance: cover for incidents at your own business premises, as well as a customer’s premises and other sites.

Employers’ liability insurance: cover for business who hire employees.

Commercial legal expenses: cover for legal costs relating to your motor trade business, and in some cases legal representation.

Personal accident cover: this is useful for covering costs in case you’re injured at work, and can help you if you’re not able to work for a while.

Product liability insurance: this covers damage to products kept at your premises, even if you didn’t manufacture them.

Portable hand tools: cover for the tools kept at your premises.

Cash on premises: this type of cover is handy for those who get paid in cash, and keep the money on the business premises.

Vehicles in transit: this cover applies to damage or theft to vehicles which you transport between from different locations.

Replacement locks: this type of cover is handy in case the locks to your premises break, or if they need to be changed due to a break-in.

Uninsured loss recovery: this covers the cost of claiming uninsured losses, i.e., your excess or the cost of a hire car.

Exhibitions cover: cover for your equipment and stock if you choose to exhibit at trade shows.


Combined motor risk insurance is a great way to keep your insurance as simple as possible, but still get all the cover you need for your motor trade business. And, because everything is included in one policy, this also means you’ll only have to worry about one premium and one renewal date, so it’s less hassle for you.


How do I get combined motor trade insurance?

You can get combined motor trade insurance with Tradesure by getting in touch with the team. We’ll take a look at your business to see what kind of cover options are available to you, so you’re your motor trade business has the protection it needs.

To speak to a member of the Tradesure team, please call us on 0121 248 9300 or send us a message using the form below: