PROTECT YOUR BUSINESS WITH OUR MOTOR TRADE INSURANCE
- We’ll explore a range of specialist partners to find you the right cover
- Optional extras include everything from liability insurance to cyber cover
- Benefit from quick, competitive quotes and a personal service
- Get a £25 reward for every friend you refer to us
WHAT IS MOTOR TRADE INSURANCE?
Motor trade insurance is a type of cover designed specifically for motor traders and anyone else who works with vehicles, including classics and other high value cars. It can help cover expensive costs for things like accidental damage, theft and injuries that are related to using cars, vans or other vehicles for work.
DO I NEED MOTOR TRADE INSURANCE?
If you’re a UK business or self-employed person responsible for other people’s vehicles, then motor trade insurance is a legal requirement.
This means that if your work involves servicing, valeting, MOTing or repairing cars, the recovery of vehicles, or attending breakdowns, you’ll need motor trade insurance for your business to run legally. If you’re trading, buying or selling vehicles, you will also need to be covered. That goes if you’re a mobile trader as well. You can get a full-time or a cheaper part-time motor trade insurance policy, depending on your working hours and business needs.
Note that in addition to motor trade insurance, you will need trade plates for cars temporarily in your possession, if you plan to drive them on public roads.
WHAT DOES MOTOR TRADE INSURANCE COVER?
Motor trade insurance covers the vehicles you have in your control or care, and it covers you to drive other people’s vehicles on public roads. Combined motor trade insurance can also protect your business premises and tools in transit, as well as provide cover for personal accidents and more.
There are two kinds of motor trade insurance available; take some time to compare the options and choose the cover that works best for you.
Road risk insurance covers you to drive vehicles on the road, and protects you against the costs of damage, fire and theft.
- Covers the vehicles in your control
- Covers you to move vehicles between locations to buy, sell or repair them
- Can offer third party, third party fire and theft, or comprehensive cover depending on your needs
Also known as combined road risk insurance, or commercial combined insurance, this offers enhanced road risk cover that’s fully customisable to your needs.
- Covers your business premises, including contents, tools and other equipment
- Can include employers liability insurance and public liability insurance
- Tailor your policy with a range of additional extras, including personal accident, replacement locks and exhibitions cover
GET A QUOTE
Ready to get the ball rolling with a road risk or combined motor trade insurance quote? Or perhaps you’d like to find out what liability insurance you can add to your policy, and how much you’ll pay for it?
To us, there’s no such thing as an average customer, which is why we like to talk to you before we quote. Simply fill in and submit the online form below and we’ll get back to you shortly. Or call our trade team directly, on 0121 248 9300.
Why choose Tradesure?
As a family-run business, we’ve been arranging personalised motor trade insurance solutions since 1965.
Our definition of success is getting each of our customers the best possible cover at an affordable monthly cost, while delivering a highly rated service and the support to back it up. We’ve listed some of our other key selling points below:
- We’re independent brokers, meaning we can go to a broad panel of specially selected motor trade insurers to find you the best, lowest cost cover for your circumstances
- We give you a dedicated personal service – you can always talk to the same person when you call us
- Free MID updates: we’ll keep the Motor Insurance Database updated for you
- Quick quotations and document issue
- We can transfer your No Claims Bonus from a private motor policy, motor trade policy or commercial vehicle policy, up to 50% after five years
- We can help you get cover for your business premises and your home
- Get liability insurance, cyber cover to protect against cyber attacks, and much more
Do I qualify for motor trade insurance?
With the right proof of trading, the majority of motor traders will qualify for insurance, but there are some basic checks to be aware of before you apply.
You have to be the owner or sole trader in charge of your company, and typically you need to be 25 or over (although some insurers will cover younger applicants). The proof of trading you’ll need to get motor trade cover can include some or all of the following:
- Copies of purchase invoices and sales receipts for vehicles bought and sold
- Auction house invoices and memberships
- Copies of any invoices and receipts for parts or work carried out on any customer vehicles
- Copies of any advertisements
- Submission of accounts
- Copies of stock book
The evidence you’ll need to supply will vary depending on the type of motor trading you’re involved with, so don’t worry if you don’t have all of the above. If you’re unsure whether you’ve got the right documents, get in touch and we’ll go through them with you.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What's the maximum number of vehicles I can insure on a motor trade policy?
There is no restriction on the number of vehicles you can cover, but you will need to tell us the maximum value of any one vehicle. If you drive a vehicle worth more than this you will only be paid out the maximum you declared at the start of your policy. This can be increased at any time during your policy; just give us a call.
2. Can I pay for my insurance by instalments?
Yes – we can provide immediate cover over the phone once payment has been set up (or paid in full if you prefer).
3. Can I get immediate cover over the phone?
Commonly a business will take out both public liability insurance and employer’s liability insurance together – this is known as a combined liability policy. At Tradesure we offer combined liability insurance with additional cover for:
- Product liability insurance
- Directors’ and Officers’ insurance
- Professional indemnity insurance
- Trustee insurance
4. What is combined liability insurance?
Yes you can. Just ask us about our finance options.
RECOMMEND A FRIEND
Did you know that you can get £25 for each friend you recommend? Every time you put forward someone who buys a policy from us, we’ll pay you £25. There’s no limit to the number of people you can recommend, so there’s no cap on the rewards you can earn.
NEWS AND ARTICLES
For more useful information, take a look at our blog. It’s got articles on all sorts of topics, from trade motor insurance and trade plates to online auctions and top second-hand cars.